Regular or WOW

>> 16 December 2008

Of course the end of the year brings reflection time for many. I’m one of those delicious weirdos that reflects all the time. It takes work to keep one’s mind in check and be the best she can be.

Now, I am far from perfect (my husband, friends, kids, family etc. will vouch for that). I consider authenticity one of my best qualities. That being said, for no good reason at all I was overcome with this EXACT thought on Monday morning (I am always ON on Monday’ mornings, so for this thought to happen then—oh full moon).

Ok..back to exact thought:

“You know, Allison, you don’t have to work this hard…just quit striving and be
regular.”
My midnight blue car nearly came to a screeching halt right there on Mansfield Dam bridge.
Who the heck wants to be regular? It is like that commercial for ttp://www.izonlens.com/why-wow/

The question is: Do you want to be regular or WOW?
Let's see what the dictionary says:


reg⋅u⋅lar: Spelled Pronunciation [reg-yuh-ler]
Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
1. usual; normal; customary

Nope…Not gonna be me.

WOW
 –verb (used with object)

  1. to gain an enthusiastic response from; thrill. –noun an extraordinary success: His act is a real wow.
  2. excitement, interest, great pleasure, or the like: a car that will add some wow to your life.

And another side note from the original Scottish expression of WOW meaning: “overwhelm with delight or amazement”


Yep….I choose WOW.

I like to overwhelm my life and the people in it with delight and amazement. I like to have extraordinary success. I like to create excitement, interest and great pleasure in my life…. Especially in contrast to usual, normal and customary.

For me, this choice to strive for WOW at least most of the time is simply a source of pleasure for me. Having been given so much I want to squeeze every bit out and taste it all. The best part of all this striving and quest to be my very best, is that the messes and mistakes and failures are all a part of the make-up of the manifestation of my WOW. Some might say, easy on yourself, gal. No sense in trying to be perfect. Nowhere did I use that word….my belief is WOW can certainly have a savory measure of glorious imperfection.

The striving does not mean that I don’t rest or slow down either. In fact, the exact opposite is true. Slowing down, breathing, NOT doing, napping, and accepting (at appropriate times) less than perfection are absolutely part of the WOW.

Oooh…ok so I do think about this most of the time…and this end of the year reflection time, well, it just gives me a few more moments to really see the vision of what WOW looks like for me---and once again eliminates the option of just being regular, at least for me.

What makes you WOW?

1 comments:

Terrill...ific! 9:56 AM  

Allison, this is a great post on "WOW". Check out this video I show in my customer service programs on creating "WOW" Service. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrgOkSFD78